This afternoon I made some chocolate and banana jam. It’s been a jam afternoon, I cleaned out the freezer yesterday and decided to make some more gooseberry and ginger jam along with turning the last of our raspberry harvest into jam.
Now back to chocolate and banana jam. I’ve heard of it before but I’d never found a vegan version but it’s so simple, I was able to easily make it free from dairy. You can find the recipe here.
Now of course the big dilemma was what to serve it with. Hubby has suggested using it with puff pastry and baking it which is a possibility, however it was raining this afternoon and I wanted something using the ingredients I had in the cupboard. That’s when I had the brainwave. Making a chocolate chip scone. So here it is – of course these go nicely with lots of other fillings too…
- 70g non dairy spread (I use PURE soya)
- 280g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 50g non dairy chocolate chips
- Up to 150ml non dairy milk plus a little extra for brushing the top of the scones before baking
- Rub the spread into the flour until you have fine breadcrumbs type mixture
- Stir in the caster sugar and the chocolate chips
- Add enough non dairy milk to make a firm dough
- Roll out to 1 inch thick and cut out – the number you get will depend on your cutter size. You could create two large scones and score each one deeply into four equal parts
- Brush the scones with the left over non dairy milk and put in a pre-heated oven (180-200 degrees) for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Leave to cool and enjoy with a well earned cuppa and your favourite spread