It’s pure indulgence – chocolate and banana jam, not your everyday find in a supermarket that’s for sure but one I can highly recommend as a treat.
You can add alcohol to this mixture for additional decadence but whatever you do – just ensure you serve it with something not overly sweet to balance it out. I created these chocolate chip scones to go with my jam this afternoon and they were the perfect partner.
Make sure you have some sterilised jars ready – I used quarter pound jars and from this recipe I filled five jars. However given you only use a tiny amount of this jam – it’s probably just perfect sized. There’s lots of recipes for this jam online so it’s nothing special, but I’m going to start experimenting with it by adding in other flavours too. I’ve significantly reduced the sugar for my recipe as I don’t like things overly sweet. Hubby who has a sweet tooth liked it so I got it just right.
- 400g of finely sliced or mashed ripe bananas
- 100ml of warm water
- 180g caster sugar
- 50g finely chopped dairy free chocolate (I use Kinnertons)
- In a heavy duty pan, bring the bananas, sugar and water to a rolling boil
- Once boiling add in the chocolate and stir well until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is boiling again
- Remove from the heat and carefully spoon into your warmed and sterilised jars
- Place the lid on the jar and leave to cool
- The jam will probably keep for up to 3 months but who are we trying to kid – it’s never going to last that long!