I made a version of these many years ago using red lentils but it’s a bit of hassle to be honest so I’d heard of a few vegetarian scotch eggs using chickpeas and thought I’d give it a try. I’ve got some ideas to create a vegan egg but you’ll need to wait a while for that until I get another chance to be creative in the kitchen. For now though – these very quick and healthy scotch mushrooms are a very tasty alternative, which can be made in advance and frozen or kept chilled for a couple of days.
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1/4 of a small brown onion
- Clove of garlic
- Italian mixed herbs (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- Smoked paprika to taste
- Tbsp of BBQ sauce or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Breadcrumbs (I make my own by grating bread)
- 6 button mushrooms
- In a food processor or Vitamix add all the ingredients apart from the breadcrumbs and mushrooms and mix until you have a smooth paste. You may need to add a little water to create a paste. You don’t want it to be too dry.
- Prepare your button mushrooms and wrap each one with a layer of the paste until you have a small ball shape
- Dip the mushroom paste ball into some non dairy milk then roll in the breadcrumbs
- I cooked these in my Lakeland actifry (20 minutes at 180 degrees centigrade) spraying only lightly with some rapeseed oil. You can deep fry until golden brown or try baking them in an oven until firm
And that’s it – so simple but oh so tasty. Now I’m away back to the kitchen to work out how to make these more egg like.