While everyone is getting confused about which holiday or event they’re celebrating, let’s not forget St Andrews Day on 30 November for us proud Scots.
It’s all about St Andrews Day, which signals that Christmas can begin.
I have designed my St Andrews Day dinner and because I’m a caring, sharing kinda gal, I wrote all the ingredients down as I was making it earlier today to publish here. Nice eh?
What we have is a haggis burger – can be made gluten free and of course it is compassionate too. I served it on some edamame spaghetti and wilted spinach topped with my pepper sauce.
You can make the burgers ahead of time, they’re perfect for freezing (if they last that long).
- 2 cups of cooked brown lentils
- 1 large carrot, cooked and mashed
- ½ tin of cannellini or kidney beans
- ½ onion
- 4-6 chestnut mushrooms
- ¼ cup of ground pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup of porage oats (can be gluten free)
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2tsp orgran
- 1tsp mace
- 2 -3 tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Dash of nutmeg
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade
- Once your lentils are cooked, drain and place them in a mixing bowl to cool down
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms until soft then blend into a smooth paste adding to the lentils
- Steam the carrot and mash, adding to the lentils
- Add the ground pumpkin seeds and grind the porage oats until fine – adding to the mixture
- Smash the cooked beans, not too much, but enough and then add to the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly, adding the tamari to help with the mixing
- Once your main ingredients are well mixed add all the seasonings – again mix well and taste, adjusting as necessary.
- Shape into 6-8 burgers and place on a non stick baking mat, cooking for 15 minutes before turning and cooking for a further 15 minutes.
- Either serve immediately or allow to cool and heat another day.
I bought the edamame spaghetti from ASDA but you could serve on a bed of mashed potato or just serve with some roasted veg.
The pepper sauce is so easy. Simply mix one tablespoon of gram flour with 1/2 cup of water, 1 teaspoon of pepper (to taste) and a quarter teaspoon of vecon (veg stock), whisk together then over a low heat until thickened.
One thought on “Haggis burger (GF)”